Korea Existing Chemicals List (KECL)

Little Pro on 2015-12-31

There are over 43,000 substances on Korea Existing Chemicals List (up to June 2015) and it consists of two lists:

  • Chemical substances which were distributed in South Korea for commercial purposes before February 2, 1991;
  • Chemical substances announced by the Minister of Environment because hazard reviews have been conducted pursuant to the former Toxic Chemicals Control Act after February 2, 1991.

How to Check KECL

Click the following link offered by the National Chemicals Information System(NCIS) and input the English name or CAS no. of your substances. If your substance is an existing chemical substance, you can usually find its KE number or NIER number.

Regulatory Impacts of KECL

New substances that are not listed on KECL require registration under K-REACH prior to its manufacture or importation. Designated existing substances also require registration within a grace period if they are in amounts exceeding one tonne per year. The first list of 510 designated existing substances subject to registration is published on 1 July 2015. Substances on the list shall be registered before 1 July 2018.

What Is New about KECL?

In May 2015, the Korean Ministry of Environment (MoE) has published a list of 950 substances to be added onto KECL for public consultations. Those substances are substances that have gone through hazard assessment under the old Toxic Chemicals Control Act (TCCA). Those substances can be downloaded here.

Tips on Searching KECL List

You can do more with above system. For example, you can also find out if your chemical substances are subject to other regulatory requirements when you search KECL.

  • Toxic Chemicals
  • Restricted Chemicals
  • Prohibited Chemicals
  • Chemicals requiring permission
  • Chemicals controlled under the International Convention

Chemical Control Act (CCA) requires you to check if your product contains any regulated substance above and submit the details to the Ministry of Environment prior to manufacture or import.

If your product contains above hazardous chemicals, you may need to submit product notification to the Ministry of Environment under K-REACH.

Having Questions?

We do not provide consultancy services. If you have questions or need any help, please contact our sponsor. You may also find an expert in CSP business directory below. If you are a consultant, you may get yourself listed in CSP business directory (free) or sponsor this page to leave your contact info on this page..

 Tags: Topics - KoreaExisting Chemical Inventory